02 Mar 2015
New angelfysh client Bettal Quality Consultancy is an impressive setup.
I met Managing Director Albert and his son Stuart (General Manager) in Corbridge for a cup of tea and a chat in February 2015.
I wanted to get to know the father and son team better, and to see if I and the angelfysh team could actually deliver what they wanted.
Email and telephone are all very well, but a little face-time is much better. Especially at the beginning of a potential working relationship.
Getting to know Bettal
So, I found out that Managing Director Albert has 30 years of industry experience. That’s a great start. Albert has also held one of the most senior positions in his Industry in the United Kingdom, and was at one time personally and solely responsible for the legislative infrastructures and frameworks inside over 200 care homes concurrently.
Further investigation showed that Albert and Stuart’s marketplace is dominated by one player that takes about 75% of all spend on Quality Systems inside the care sector. The remaining 25% is then pretty fragmented.
What’s the plan?
At the start of any new working relationship, I have to have a plan.
Bettal is not – in the short term at least – looking to become the dominant force in the marketplace.
Bettal is looking to see what happens when they get a better presence than every single one of the also-rans (the 25%) in Google’s organic listings.
I will be able to get Bettal a better presence than all of the competitors, including the number one brand actually, for the most desirable search terms in the market. I’m never worried about that.
But I do worry, with all clients, about conversion.
So, in a few months, we’ll look at how the traffic converts. If it converts well (5% plus) then all that wonderful stuff I’ve mentioned up there about Albert’s experience and wonderfulness will be apparent to the visitors. The Bettal offering will be compelling enough as-is. The massively increased traffic that I’m going to drive to the website will ‘just know’ why to buy. And they will.
If conversion is low, then we know we have to focus on brand positioning and messaging. I tend to use Violet Bick for that bit.
The hard work starts here
Anyhow, the hard work starts here. This blog story is just a teeny insight into how I set this particular assignment up. It really is crucial to get to know all of my clients really well.
I left that meeting in February with quite a bit of homework to do – and some great cakes as well as it happens.
Have you seen the bakery in Corbridge?
What a great job I have.